Hair products can make or break a look. So, you need high-quality, budget-friendly options to keep your clients happy. That’s why so many hairstylists use wholesale distributors like Salon Service Group. Whether you’re looking for products to use during appointments or sell to clients for extra cash, start with a salon distributor.
But what is a Salon Service Group? And how does it compare to other distributors?
Keep reading! We provide tips on buying products for your salon, give you the tl;dr on Salon Service Group, and recommend a few alternatives.
How Do Salons Buy Their Products?
Most salon owners and hair professionals buy their products from wholesale distributors, like Salon Service Group. These distributors have partnerships with popular hair brands. So, they can offer products to cosmetologists at a discounted rate. They act as a middleman between you and your favorite brands.
Hairstylists and salon owners can save money buying from distributors. They also make money by selling their favorite products directly to clients. It’s good to buy wholesale if you plan on selling hair care items to your clients (and you should).
Typically, wholesale hair care distributors only sell to licensed cosmetologists or cosmetology students. So you don’t have to worry about them selling to your clients.
What’s The Alternative?
Instead of buying from a distributor, some hair pros develop a private label for their salon i.e., they create a unique line of hair care products with their own formula and branded packaging. It’s a good way to stand out from your competition and make more money from product sales. But you have to invest a lot more money upfront. And it takes time to research formulas and build your own brand.
What Is Salon Service Group?
Salon Service Group sells wholesale hair and beauty products to licensed cosmetologists. If you’re a hair stylist or salon owner, it may be a good place to stock up on hair care essentials.
On top of selling hair products and salon equipment, Salon Service Group offers educational and career resources for licensed cosmetologists, like in-person and online classes. For example, you can get certified in weft extensions or learn to perfect your blowout.
They also provide marketing materials from the brands you shop for, like:
- Social post templates
- Printable signs
- Price lists
- Product thumbnails
These resources make it easier for you to promote your products on social media or in your salon.
How Does Salon Service Group Work?
To get started with Salon Service Group, all you have to do is sign up for an account and start shopping. You’ll find deals from top brands like:
- Paul Mitchell
You can purchase items online or in one of their stores across the U.S.
How Do I Choose The Right Products for My Hair Business?
Once you’re set up with an account, you can start shopping. But before you pull out your credit card, you need to be sure that the products are right for business.
Here are a few best practices to follow when buying from a distributor.
- Make sure the products fit your client’s lifestyle: You should choose products that appeal to your clients. They might prefer all-natural products or luxury items. Either way, ask yourself if the products are in your clients’ price range and solve any of their problems.
- Keep an eye on your competitors: It’s good to offer popular products that are in demand, but you should still make an effort to stand out. Offer products your clients can’t get anywhere else.
- Keep it simple: Only use two or three brands in your salon, especially if you’re just starting out. It’s tempting to offer a wide range of products to appeal to every client. But this can overwhelm your staff and confuse your clients. You don’t want to end up with a mass of inventory and no one to buy it.
What Are Some Alternatives to Salon Service Group?
If Salon Service Group doesn’t offer your preferred brands, don’t worry! There are more wholesalers out there. It shouldn’t be too hard one that fits your needs and your budget. Here are some options:
- Marlo Beauty Supply goes beyond salon brands, offering products and equipment for nail technicians, barbers, and estheticians. It’s convenient if you have other specialists working in your salon.
- Jinny houses brands specifically for curly and Afro-textured hair. It’s a good option if you offer hair braiding services.
- At Cosmoprof, you’ll find a wide variety of hair and skin care brands, like Ouidad, Olaplex, and Murad.
Here’s a tip: Reach out to your favorite brands and ask if they partner with local distributors in your area.
How To Sell Hair Products to Clients
Whether you shop at Salon Service Group or another distributor, the tricky part is getting clients to buy. The good news is that you have an advantage because your clients already trust your hair care expertise.
Here are some tips on how to sell more products to clients.
- Make sure you (and your staff) are educated on the products. Your clients expect you to be a hair care expert. So, if they have a lot of questions, you should be ready with the answers. Some brands offer free training on their products.
- Make the products easy to buy. You can add products to your services in the PocketSuite app or as stand-alone items on your custom booking page. So your clients don’t miss them on the way to checkout.
- Do product demonstrations. Use the products in your hair appointments, so clients can see the results. Show them how and when to use the product and tell them how it can solve their hair problems.
Also, if you have a staff, motivate them with incentives to sell products. For example, allow them to earn a commission on every sale.
The Bottom Line
Salon Service Group is one of many wholesale distributors for salon owners and hair pros. It may be a good option if you can find your preferred brands at a good price. If not, you can buy products from another distributor. Either way, make sure the products work for your clients.
PocketSuite has tools to help you sell hair care products to clients. We’re the all-in-one app for running your business. You can book clients, sell products, and receive payment straight from your phone.