The coaching industry is booming, and it’s no wonder why! Business coaches help entrepreneurs, teams, managers, and professionals achieve their goals. While traditional work experience is a must, a business coach certification helps you stand out from the crowd and grow your coaching business.
Keep reading to learn about the best certifications to obtain as a professional business coach.
What is the best coaching qualification to have?
If you want to grow your coaching business, it’s best to get your hands on a reputable business coach certification. Certified coaches charge three times more on average than coaches without certification. Plus, 85% of coaching clients think it’s important that their coach holds some kind of certification or credential.
Here are the top business coaching certifications to have in 2023.
#1 International Coaching Federation
The International Coaching Federation (ICF) is considered the gold standard in business coaching credentials: The ICF offers its own coaching programs as well as accredits other coaching programs. So, you can earn an ICF business coach certification by taking an ICF-approved training program.
ICF credentials are grounded in their core competencies that determine what makes a superior business coach. These include:
- Demonstrates ethical practices
- Embodies a coaching mindset
- Establishes and maintains agreements
- Cultivates trust and safety
- Maintains presence
- Listens actively
- Evokes awareness
- Facilitates clients growth
There are three credentials you can earn from the ICF:
- Associate Certified Coach (ACC): To earn this credential, you must complete at least 60 hours of coach training and 100 hours of practical client experience.
- Professional Certified Coach (PCC): To receive your PCC credential, you must complete 125 hours of coaching education or training along with 500 hours spent coaching actual clients.
- Master Certified Coach (MCC): You will need to earn a PCC before receding this credential. Plus, you must complete 200 hours of education and 2,500 hours of client coaching.
ICF credentials are recognized worldwide. They’re a great option for independent coaches who want to boost the credibility of their coaching business.
#2 Worldwide Association of Business Coaches
The Worldwide Association of Business Coaches (WABC) is a global leader in coaching programs for individuals and companies. Their programs are designed for professionals with diverse backgrounds and at any stage of their coaching journey.
The WABC believes coaching should be grounded in real-world experience, whether you’re a full-time dedicated coach for a company or a team leader looking to add coaching to their toolbox.
The WABC offers four business coach certification levels:
- Registered Corporate Coach (RCC): The RCC arms you with specialized business coaching skills, boosting your credibility over your competition. It’s designed for professionals with little to no business coaching experience or training. It’s a good option if you’re just starting out in your coaching career journey.
- WABC Certified Business Coach (CBC): The CBC offers more advanced business coaching skills with a particular emphasis on professionals who want to enhance their client service skills. It’s a good option if you already have experience as a senior manager or internal business coach.
- WABC Certified Master Business Coach (CMBC): The CMBC is designed to position you as a leader in your field, capable of handling complex solutions. Just know that you’ll need a minimum of five years of business coaching experience to take on this credential.
- Chartered Business Coach (ChBC): The ChBC marks as you as one the most qualified coaches in your industry with senior experience and proof of producing long-term results.
These business coach certifications are a great option for independent coaches who want to see steady growth in their coaching business.
#3 International Association of Coaching
For 20+ years, The International Association of Coaching (IAC) has been a leading body for coaching professionals. Unlike other coaching certifications, they don’t prioritize a certain number of training or hours. Instead, the IAC places more emphasis on skills like:
- Awareness of cultural differences,
- Ability to shift perspectives
- Creating sustainable plans
- Producing meaningful results
The IAC offers two business coaching certifications i.e., the Certified Coach (IAC-CC) and Master Coach (IAC-MC).
You can receive an IAC business coach certification in two steps. First, you complete an online test, and then you submit a recorded coaching demonstration between you and a client. IAC coaching certifications should be renewed every five years.
#4 The Center for Executive Coaching
The Center for Executive Coaching offers an ICF-approved training program. It’s specially designed for those who want to coach leaders, executives, and solo entrepreneurs in different industries. Their program focuses on the hands-on, results-driven aspect of coaching rather than theory.
Unlike other certification programs, the center offers personalized training and 1:1 support. You’ll leave with the confidence and competence to help business leaders achieve their goals.
#5 Coactive Training Institute
Co-Active is said to be one of the most rigorous and sought-after training programs in the industry. With 130k+ coaches trained, this established organization offers an excellent program.
Their training program is flexible and proven to prudence top-tier, some of whom work for Fortune 100 companies. Coactive claims that over 50% of budding professional coaches are trained by CTI. So, you’ll be in good company and be able to market a recognizable certification to clients.
To complete the program and earn a Certified Professional Co-Active Coach (CPCC) designation, you must go through their fundamental and coaching mastery training.
A business coach certification is key to growing your coaching business. Just make sure you choose a well-respected credential that meets your needs. You’ll attract more clients and earn more money.
PocketSuite can help with all the rest. We’re an all-in-one tool to grow a successful coaching business. You can schedule appointments, send contracts, and solicit Google reviews straight from your phone.