You’re an entrepreneur, small business owner, independent service professional, freelancer, or gigster and you’ve decided to take the plunge and get yourself a business phone number.
Congratulations! You’re ahead of the pack, as more solopreneurs rarely separate their business and personal information. This mindset of commingling your contacts can lead to a lot of confusion, not to mention potentially lost income.
How, you might ask?
In this article, we’ll take a deep dive on the topic of using Google Voice as a business phone line or alternate business number separate from your personal cell phone.
We’ll discuss the key reasons why you’d want to do this as well as walk through a quick tutorial on how to set up a Google Voice number.
You’ll also learn the main perks of why many small business owners elect to use a business number through Google Voice as well as the potential drawbacks and features you’re missing out on by going with Google Voice for your business.
I hope you are on the edge of your seat because you’re about to get a brand spankin’ new business line! Look at you. You are official and you’re moving up in the world! 😉
WHY A BUSINESS LINE IS ESSENTIAL FOR YOUR BUSINESS
First of all, let’s talk about how much more professional your business looks when you have a business line.
You can put it on your business cards and not worry about giving everyone your personal cell phone number.
Besides calling, you can encourage your clients to text your business number – any decent business line service such as Google Voice will allow you to receive text messages.
How about group messages (for example, if you offer classes, event, or a team?) Google Voice allows that as well.
And don’t even get me started on the benefits as far as your sanity is concerned…
SEPARATE BUSINESS FROM PERSONAL
Finally, you can separate business from personal in a convenient way. No longer will you see an incoming call and wonder if it’s a client or your mother-in-law, Gertrude, asking why you haven’t called her in ages.
QUICK & CUSTOMIZABLE
Additionally, Google Voice is a great choice because you can get your number in literally one (1) minute. All you need is a Gmail account and you’re good to go!
Not to mention, you can even customize your phone number, such as choosing your area code and several different combinations of digits. Anyone who has ever wanted a vanity phone number, this is your opportunity! 😉
You also get a voicemail that Google automatically transcribes and emails to you. So you get an audio message and a written email message for any call that you miss when a client leaves a message. That being said, the voicemail transcripts can be spotty at times (i.e. Customers may be asking for a deep cleaning, but it comes across as “cheap feeling”). I assure you these are not the same, and may leave you confused and need to seek clarification for what should be a straightforward request to begin with. Lol. Excuse me for that chuckle.
FORWARD TO YOUR CELL
How about forwarding your business line to your cell phone? Of course this is possible – it wouldn’t be very useful to have a business line that didn’t ring to your main phone. Text messages get forwarded also, although thru email, which is pointedly less convenient (for obvious reasons) than regular SMS.
All in all, getting a dedicated Google Voice number is a great choice for your business.
How do you go about doing such a thing? Ask no more!
The good news is, it couldn’t be easier.
Simply go to voice.google.com (don’t you love how easy Google makes it to find their services?)
Then choose For Work from the selection, which will route you to Google’s cloud services. It’s basically the same thing as Google Voice for personal use, but with some extra features.
Here are those extra features (as well as the price tag):
What’s that I hear? You were looking for a free solution?
Well, that’s what most people say, and for that reason I’d recommend that you click Back and click For Personal Use instead. (Note that I’m not advocating breaking any terms of service)
However, it’s a shame that Google doesn’t offer some pretty sweet and much needed extra features for busy professionals.
For example, how awesome would it be if you could do any of the following with your brand new business line (unfortunately you can’t do any of the following with Google Voice):
- RANDOM MISSED CALLS – What if you could add your missed calls to your contacts automatically? How much time would that save you digging thru your missed call records and emails trying to figure out which client reached out from which number? Ugh, annoying!
- NO PERSONALIZED RESPONSES – What if you could send a personalized response to one or more clients based on certain criteria? (Such the date of their last booking, or whether they owe you money, or on their birthday or anniversary, or when their package is going to expire, or when you have special classes, extra availability, promotions, discounts, etc) – can’t do any of that with Google Voice personal (or business!). I know, I know it’s tragic…hang in there.
- NO CUSTOM FORWARDING – What if you need to forward your number to another line that is not your cell phone? Like when you drop your phone and have to leave it in the repair shop overnight or when you are away on vacation out of the country and don’t have an international voice plan, or you just hired an assistant and want him to answer all of your calls. So sad, can’t do that with Google Voice either.
- HEADACHE OF MULTIPLE APPS – If you’re using Google Voice for your business line, which app or software are you using to manage your clients bookings? Which app are you using to process client payments? How about contracts…do you have an app for getting them signed online? Where are you storing notes, class info, etc? That’s right – you have to use multiple apps, which makes everything exponentially more difficult, manual, and inefficient.
How can you take advantage of these amazing business features without having to shell out $30 per month to GoogleDrive, GoogleWallet, and more?
The answer is a tool that you may already have heard about, since you’re reading this article:
An amazing mobile app called PocketSuite, it’s an all-in-one solution:
- MISSED CALLS ADDED TO CONTACTS AUTOMATICALLY – every missed call you get (remember, these are only business calls because you get a dedicated business line with PocketSuite) will be added to your contacts automatically. No more sifting through missed calls or staring at a number, wondering which client called you!
- SMART MARKETING TO SEND PERSONALIZED RESPONSES – Send personalized, automated responses to your new leads and clients based on any criteria you set – hello discounts, hello promotions, hello increasing your bottom line income!
- CUSTOMIZABLE FORWARDING INCLUDED – Easily forward your line to your admin or support staff, and start spending your time growing your business while your team (or assistant) takes care of the support tasks! Unlike Google Voice, with PocketSuite your business line isn’t attached inseparably to your cell phone number. It default forwards to your cell phone but you can temporarily or permanently forward it to any other phone, including (ironically) to a Google Voice number.
ONE APP FOR EVERYTHING – Finally! Running a business in these days already requires so many moving pieces. It can be overwhelming. That’s why if you have a business line, you shouldn’t have to use a separate app just to manage it. With PocketSuite you get a business line integrated into the same app that you already use for payments, messages, scheduling, contacts, and pretty much any other task you need to do for your business. Phew!
Not to mention PocketSuite also allows you to get a brand new number easily and quickly, customize the area code and digits, and the best part…
If you already have a current Google Voice or Google Voice Business line and you love it, no problem! You can easily route your current number to PocketSuite and keep the Google Voice number that you already have (and that your clients have). Boom! You can have it all!!!
If you’re just looking for a business line and that’s it, you can get one from PocketSuite for the nominal cost of $9.99. However, for an extra $10 you also get the entire PocketSuite app with all the amazing features that I outlined above. And that’s still less expensive than Google Cloud’s Premier solution, which doesn’t have any of the features that I referenced above.
It’s a no brainer to do a test drive, even if it’s on PocketSuite’s free plan. There is also a 7-Day FREE Trial – so you have no excuse. Check it out!
So what are you waiting for? We’ve discussed all of the steps to getting either a Google Voice line or a PocketSuite business line or BOTH – now it’s time to make use of this information, because you’ll never get back the ten minutes you invested in reading this article. Carpe diem! (Seize the day!)
As service professionals, let’s be bold and keep expanding and growing our brand and income. We’re laying the foundation for our continued success, one delighted client at a time!
If you liked this article, you’ll love PocketSuite’s Business line – try out the 7-Day FREE trial Premium plan, if you’re not sure, you’ll get the business line benefits!