Yoga is a big part of the health and wellness industry. 36 million Americans practice yoga and spend $16 billion on yoga classes, clothing, equipment, and accessories each year. The number of Americans doing yoga grew by 50% between 2012 and 2016 alone! On this episode of Professional-on-the-Go, we explore:
– What makes yoga so popular and why the recent boom in popularity?
– How much do Yoga Instructors make?
– What is the secret to making more as a Yoga instructor?
– What changes do people have to make when they want to take yoga instruction from a hobby to a career?
– What are the licensing and certification requirements for yoga instructors?
– How yoga professionals can ensure they have the training needed to protect their clients from injury
– Who is Yoga Alliance and what is their role within the yoga industry?
– What is the best advice for someone who is looking to grow their yoga practice and income?
Here to help us learn more about the yoga industry is Kerry Maiorca, the founder of Bloom Yoga Studio in Chicago. A yoga teacher for more than 20 years, Kerry is passionate about making yoga unintimidating and accessible for each unique student, and she also provides an online mentorship program for yoga teachers. Her writing has been featured on The Huffington Post, Elephant Journal, and Mindbodygreen, among others, and she explores the intersection of yoga and daily life on her Thinking Yogi blog.
For free continuing ed offerings for yoga teachers and great discounts, check out https://www.yogaalliance.org/ where there are lots of helpful resources for making yoga instruction into a viable business.