Policies & Services
PocketSuite is a YC-backed mobile platform for service businesses – fitness trainers, home cleaners, dog walkers, photographers, etc. – helping them communicate with, schedule and collect payment from clients. PocketSuite empowers the U.S. market of 20 million service professionals generating $800 billion in sales with a mobile tool to run their businesses on the go. Over 1k businesses run their business on PocketSuite today, with platform revenue growing 35% each month.
PocketSuite lets any small business owner run their business entirely over text message. On average our customers are paid in under 24h and spend 2 fewer hours per day on scheduling and payment collection 3 months after adopting PocketSuite. From calendar sync to appointment confirmation with credit card to estimate contract e-signatures to text message reminders, PocketSuite is both easy to use and capable of automating the most complex workflows facing small business owners today. If you can send text messages you can use PocketSuite.
Who are we?
1) Proudest moment in college was skipping Thanksgiving to work non-stop [100 hours with 3 or 4 short sleep breaks] on a CS project [which won the top prize in the class].
2) Next proudest moment was leading the rewrite of the core application runtime at NetSuite in under 6 months. Rewrite led to anecdotally easier to use API, 50% less time spent completing new features and 10x more developers building on the platform
3) We live in the Bay Area but doesn’t make a difference, still spend 98% of our waking hours in heads down mode hacking, talking to customers and finding new customers.
4) We hate over-engineered products (J2EE, NoSQL, Core Data, String theory, Bitcoin, Authorize.net, OAuth, SAP, QuickBooks, Yodle, SOAP, Interface Builder)
5) We love simple, elegant products (SQL, SQLite, Stripe, Square, Plaid, JSON)
6) We believe technology can solve most of the world’s problems and get miffed when human behavior gets in the way of a good hack
7) Love fantasy sports and video games but prefer to watch others play at this stage. Also wish we could exercise more (15mi hike, 5k run, tennis or ping pong anyone)
8) We’re obsessed with continuous refactoring (technical debt payments) and get as much satisfaction ripping out unused / expensive features as we do adding new ones.
9) We are intrigued by deep learning dis-intermediating us one day. In the meantime, we’re fascinated by all the amazing possibilities it could enable in our product one day.
10) We believe developers are solely responsible for the quality of the code they ship.
11) One of us is a certified Excel whiz who thinks the mouse slows them down in a measurable way when building our operating models (those half seconds add up).
12) We really really care about our small business customers. We fix bugs (easy or urgent) right away and do everything we can to make them feel like they’re in good hands.
Who are we looking for?
We are recruiting the team to build PocketSuite v2.0. Our first cohort will be comprised of two (2) talented and self-driven software engineers to form the core of our engineering team. You will be working on a mix of technologies from iOS (iPhone) and Android native development to interactive web widgets to python-based backend services to relational databases to payments to messaging (communication) to machine learning (scheduling optimization) to scaling a fast-growing backend service.
– Develop our mobile applications [Objective C, Android] – Develop our payments, messaging and scheduling stack
– Develop our machine learning stack for payments and scheduling
– Develop & roll out unit test coverage in both mobile & backend stacks
– Build internal tools for code deployment, customer on-boarding / retention
– Bachelors degree in Computer Science [or equivalent] – Expertise in at least 3 of the following: Objective C [iOS], Android, Python, SQL, Machine learning
– Almost no one you know would describe you as an asshole.
– Most engineers you’ve worked with would put you in their top 5
– You should be able to ace our basic technical interview [no puzzles, no tricks] – The details matter to you [premature optimizations, pixel level precision] and you take lots of pride in your work.