California Licensing Overview for an HVAC Contractor
Licensing for an HVAC contractor in California is controlled by the California Department of Consumer Affairs Contractors State License Board.
General Guidelines for an HVAC Contractor in California
Specific requirements to perform HVAC contractor services can generally be used as a guideline, but also check with your local governing rules and regulations.
Who’s allowed to perform these services?
General requirements for an HVAC contractor license?
• Four years of work experience at the journeyman level or higher (apprentice or trainee work does not count towards this requirement).
• Education can count towards three of the four year work experience requirement.
• Pass the licensing exam.
• Pass the California Law and Business exam.
• Pass an open book asbestos exam.
• Provide a $15,000 contractor bond.
• Provide Certificate of Workers’ Compensation.
What’s the state licensing site for an HVAC contractor?
What are some training programs available for an HVAC contractor?
How long is a license good for and when do I need to renew?
Valid for two years
What are fees associated with licensing?